Safe Access Fellowship 2020
Safe Access Fellowship 2020 Edition is currently on hold due to corona virus related restrictions across the country.
Our selected Fellows will be notified of new dates and schedule for the Fellowship 2020 as and when we receive updates on this rapidly evolving situation. Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Meanwhile we request all of you to stay home and stay safe.
What is Safe Access Fellowship?
We envision a world where, LGBTQ+ community can walk into any healthcare clinic, without the fear of judgment, discrimination or worry of being misdiagnosed for their sexual and mental health or overall well-being. However, even in a post-377 India, where homosexuality is now decriminalized, the community still remains fearful of homophobia, harassment, verbal abuse and discrimination and avoid or delay their visit to a doctor.
In our research, over 50% of LGBTQ+ community respondents felt fearful approaching healthcare providers, and 82% felt they could not trust a doctor disclosing their identities or sexual orientation, which could result in misdiagnosis. It is our mission to change this narrative and enable access to equitable healthcare for the LGBTQ+ communities across India.
Safe Access Fellowship 2020 Edition is a six-months long, part-time, non-residential fellowship with two primary goals:
- To locate, sensitize and on-board LGBTQ+ friendly, affirmative, compassionate and community-trusted healthcare providers
- To build community awareness on comprehensive healthcare through on-ground events, and social media campaigns
Who can Apply?
- Any youth (18-29) who are passionate and driven to make healthcare equitable for the LGBTQ community
- Our focus in this second round of fellowship is on the following states: Maharashtra, Goa, Telengana, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Karnataka and Kerala
- However, applicants from other states will also be eligible and we encourage all to apply
- Last day to apply Feb 14th, 2020
- Short listed candidates will be contacted for phone interviews by First week of Feb, 2020.
- Selected candidates will be notified by Second week of Feb, 2020.
- A mandatory residential, all-expense paid 4-days long, Induction Training will be held in Bangalore by end of March, 2020.
What is expected from a Safe Access Fellow?
- A serious time commitment of 3-4 hours a week, for 6 months
- A belief that access to equitable quality healthcare is a human-rights issue
- Passion to make a change in the lives of LGBTQ+ communities of your town
- Motivation and perseverance to work with healthcare providers to increase their capacity to deliver safe, non-judgmental and non-discriminatory healthcare
- A learner’s mindset
- A close affinity with local LGBTQ+ communities
Fellows will build their capacity to be a change-agent and a champion for LGBTQ+ health rights
The Safe Access Fellowship 2020 Activities Timeline
Safe Access Fellowship 2020 Applications are now closed.
Please read FAQs below to know more about the fellowship, and its logistics.
If your questions are not answered above, reach out to us at email@example.com